Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Botanist Gin

So... I occasionally am invited to certain events due to my ways with the words, my blogging prowess, knowing the right people, and so on and so forth . One of the these latest was a promotional event for The Botanist Gin, a relatively new entrant to the game from the Bruichladdich distillery on the isle of Islay in Scotland.



A week before the event, and knowing that I was going to this thing, I queried one of the best bartenders I know about the spirit. That would be Juan from Fauna in Uptown, Oakland. "I really like it," he said, reaching for the bottle. Next thing I know, I have another glass with a short pour of Bruichladdich next to it.

The gin and the whisky were remarkably similar in some ways, with both having an apparent sweetness and great body on the palate. It's a little like when you hear two bands from the same small town and they both seem to have similar influences. Maybe they have influenced each other. The Scotch was just moderately aggressive in terms of peat smoke as Islay whiskies go, and the gin was also juniper-forward, somewhat London-dry style with a good bit of herb and spice components. Fairly conservative, but showing nice spice and mint notes that distinguish it, but place it firmly in a centrist, functional, non-eccentric territory. As in, "I'll have a The Botanist martini with an olive garnish," I think my dad would appreciate this gin, and I do, too.

I have a feeling that this gin, just like another developed by one of the other great Scottish distillers, Hendrick's, might just have legs. It really does show the mark of an expert distiller and a tasteful recipe. And the packaging is pretty sharp, no small matter that last bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment