Monday, February 27, 2017

MacRostie Winery and Vineyards

I still haven't had an opportunity to visit MacRostie's new tasting room near Healdsburg in Sonoma County, but I've seen pictures and it looks GREAT. A friend of mine recently visited there and told me he arrived before another car carrying the remaining members of his group. An employee walked out of the tasting room with a glass of white wine to meet him halfway through the parking lot. Not that's hospitality! I think I'm going to be sending a lot more people that way.

MacRostie has been sending me wines for a while and I had dinner with Steve MacRostie a few years ago. I have to say that I have been steadily, progressively impressed by the wines, especially with the Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs, both of which are now sealed with screwcaps and seem they seem all the more pure and fresh for it. Other wine writers I know feel the same way.

MacRostie 2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir ($42) This is just about textbook Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. It has an equal balance of red and black and blue fruit flavors, a generous silky texture and a little bit of spice, partly from the oak and partly from the loamy goldridge soils. It's a Goldilocks wine: not too this, not too that, just right. Everyone will enjoy this wine and the price is quite fair. (92 Points)

No comments:

Post a Comment