Monday, July 20, 2015

Slovenian White from Puklavec & Friends

Puklavec & Friends 2013 Sauvignon Blanc / Pinot Grigio Slovenia ($8) I've been hearing about Slovenian wine from fellow wine writers for years, but I never had the opportunity to try any myself until recently. It is right over the border from Italy's Collio region, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that Slovenia is capable of making some impressive wine. I recently was sent a couple of bottles from Puklavec & Friends, most notably a delicious blend of 70% Sauvignon Blanc and 30% Pinot Grigio that captured my attention. It weighs in at a delicate 11.5% alcohol and has some of the grass and grapefruit hallmarks of Sauvignon Blanc, but also has an easy-going quince-like fruitiness from the Pinot Grigio. It would be great with shellfish or ceviche, and from what I'm seeing online, it looks like it sells for under ten bucks a bottle, which makes it a remarkable steal worth buying by the case. (90 Points)

No comments:

Post a Comment